Welcome to the Year of Lifelong Learning when we’ll be celebrating the power of people continuing to learn throughout their lives. We know from research both in Australia and internationally that when people take an active approach to learning throughout their adult years it has a huge impact on individuals, families, communities and society.
Taking time for learning as an adult is the key to a healthy and active life, to staying connected in communities, to finding new or better work and participating in a democracy. It changes people’s lives for the better. It’s a lifechanger.
What are our plans for the #YOLL2018?
Advocacy for a national policy
Adult Learning Australia is calling on the Australian Government to adopt a formal policy on lifelong learning as an essential feature of a healthy, active democracy. We believe that providing access to lifelong learning opportunities allows people to overcome barriers and change their lives for the better. We have worked with our network of members around the country, and with key peak and membership bodies to develop a comprehensive policy agenda to ensure that all Australians can access the benefits of lifelong and lifewide learning.
National Summit on Lifelong Learning
From ideal to real: Towards a national lifelong learning policy for Australia
ALA will be holding a national summit on the 17th April 2018 that will provide platform for key stakeholders in adult education, community, government and business to discuss and reach some consensus on what a formal lifelong learning policy might look like. Register to attend.
The #Lifechangers campaign promotes the achievements of the diverse people and places involved in adult learning and education across Australia. Through a campaign that encourages people to share stories of #lifechangers we demonstrate the impact of a sector that is often overlooked in public discussions of education. All the evidence tells us that adult lifelong learning transforms lives. And that it has a ripple effect, from teachers, to learners, to families, to communities and back again.
- Lifechangers are the mentors, teachers, coaches who encourage inspire their adult students to keep learning.
- Lifechangers are the adult learners of all ages and backgrounds who are empowered through their experience and inspire others in turn. Their success inspires those around them as well as the generation that follows them.
- Lifechangers are communities who commit to a culture of learning and provide accessible opportunities for a broad range of people to make positive changes to get involved in learning.
- Lifechangers are the venues and places where adult learning happens from Neighbourhood Houses to Men’s Sheds, from community libraries to community gardens.
Our webinars and forums will share the best of adult learning and education practise, build networks and inspire organisations and staff to share their experiences, learn about latest initiatives and build community.
How can you get involved?
- Register to attend our Summit.
- Share stories of lifechanging people, places and policies using the #lifechangers and #YOLL2018 hashtags in social media
- Support our call for a national policy on lifelong learning for all Australians
- Host an event during Adult Learners Week
- Participate in our #lifechanger professional development sessions